St. Wenceslaus, a Czech National parish, was founded in 1877 by Fr. Vaclav Kocarnik, in Omaha, NE. The Sisters of Mercy opened a grade school in 1879. On July 3, 1887 a new church was dedicated at 14th and Pine and two years later the school was enlarged to a two-story building.
In 1980 parishioners voted to relocate due to dwindling membership. The present facility was constructed under the leadership of a new pastor, Fr. James Cain. Today there are over 3,200 families, 900 grade school students, and 500 students in our catechetical program.
The present school started in 1985 with Fr. James Cain as the pastor and Sr. Mary Ann Miller as the principal. The school opened with Grades K-2 and added a grade every year after that. Presently we have Pre-School through 8th grade with three sections per grade.
Since the school has been opened we have had five pastors: Msgr. James Cain, Fr. Frank Dvorak, Fr. Mel Merwald, Fr. Mike Swanson and Fr. Tom Bauwens (current pastor). We are very fortunate to have our priests visit the classrooms of a weekly basis.